Suzanne Ackerman- Berman, Transformation Director @ Pick ‘n Pay – Whilst a student at UCT, she was the first woman to chair the University Students Fund raising Rag committee and was elected vice-chair of SHAWCO. After university, Suzanne received extensive training in supermarkets in France and UK. She settled in France, ran her own businesses in restaurants and nightclubs in a French Ski resort for 7 years. Returning to South Africa, she joined the family business as a trainee manager in fresh foods. During her 20 years in the Company, she worked in various positions starting from Floor management, and buying, to General Manager of Corporate Affairs and Social Responsibility. She founded the Small Business Incubator that seeks to address the social and economic inequalities of the past created by the Apartheid era, by providing access to the formal market for small and previously disadvantaged entrepreneurs. A passionate proponent for equality, job creation and skills development, Suzanne assists many new entrepreneurs in all aspects of business and life skills through a detailed mentorship programme that ensures their sustainability as suppliers to the broader economy.
- Fellow of the First Movers Programme of the Aspen Business Institute of Management, NY.
- Co-authored a business book with Raymond Ackerman, “A Sprat to Catch a Mackerel”, dealing with the development of entrepreneurs in South Africa.
- Lectures local and International MBA Students of Business Ethics and Practices in South African Retail.
- Represented Pick n Pay and South Africa at National Retail Federation conferences delivering addresses in New York, USA and Sao Paolo, Brazil.
- Appointed as Honorary member to International Golden Key Association,
- Melvin Jones Fellow – Lions Club International and Louis Volks Humanitarian Award
- Honorary award for “Socially Responsible Capitalism” from IDC Herzlyia Campus, Israel, 2014
- Inspirational Leadership Award 2015 – Rutgers School of Business , Camden
- Speaker TEDX Berkeley, USA – Feb 2015